WARNING BLOG: CHEMICALS
We're talking paraquat, a widely used but dangerously toxic herbicide. While it has gained popularity for its effectiveness in weed control, the potential health risks associated with paraquat cannot be ignored. In particular, extensive research has pointed to a concerning link between long-term exposure to this chemical and the development of Parkinson's Disease.
At this critical juncture, we believe it is crucial to shed light on the dangers of paraquat and provide comprehensive information to raise awareness about its potential harm. To that end, we have created a detailed guide that covers a range of essential topics, including its common uses, symptoms of exposure, associated side effects, available treatments, and more.
Join us on this informative journey as we uncover the truths about paraquat, striving to equip you with the knowledge necessary to make informed decisions regarding your health and safety. Explore our comprehensive guide at [insert link] to deepen your understanding of this toxic chemical and its impact on our lives.
Knowledge is power, and together, we can work towards a world where the dangers of paraquat are widely recognised, leading to better regulation and protection for all.
To help educate about this toxic chemical, our friends at Drug watch have made a comprehensive guide about paraquat. It covers things like what it is used for, symptoms, side effects, treatment, and more! Please take a look: HERE
---- Their List is summarised below
- Foods such as corn
Paraquat, also known as Gramoxone, is one of the most commonly used herbicides in the world. Commercial farmers use it to kill weeds and grasses. Because Paraquat is highly toxic and can lead to fatal poisoning, only licensed professionals can apply it.
Symptoms of Paraquat Exposure
Symptoms of paraquat exposure vary depending on the amount of exposure and how someone was exposed. For example, ingesting a large amount of paraquat causes acute poisoning and symptoms appear quickly. Licensed applicators and other agricultural workers exposed to smaller amounts of the chemical over a long period may not manifest symptoms for years.
Short-Term Exposure Symptoms
The first symptoms of acute poisoning through ingestion are immediate. Short-term exposure symptoms can occur within hours to several weeks after exposure and can be fatal.
- Fast heart rate
- Fluid in the lungs
- Gastrointestinal problems (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea)
- Heart failure
- Kidney failure
- Liver failure
- Lung scarring
- Muscle weakness
- Respiratory failure
Pain and swelling in the mouth and throat are typically the first signs. When the chemical enters the stomach, it causes gastrointestinal problems such as diarrhea, vomiting and nausea.
Long-term paraquat exposure symptoms include:
- Heart failure
- Impaired lung function (from long-term exposure)
- Kidney failure
- Lung damage
- Lung scarring (pulmonary fibrosis)
- Parkinson’s disease (from long-term exposure)
- Reproductive problems (from long-term exposure)
- Scarring of the esophagus
Licensed applicators, farmers and agricultural workers that have been exposed to paraquat for years may not suffer acute symptoms of poisoning. But they can still have long-term effects from exposure such as an increased risk for developing Parkinson’s disease.
“Paraquat is highly toxic to humans; one small accidental sip can be fatal and there is no antidote.”